Sunday, March 21, 2010

003... "smile... it's the second best thing you can do with your lips."

Blah, I've done a fine job of posting in here, haven't I?

To tell the truth, I really haven't had the time recently to think about this blog, but here we go. All it takes is a mix I'm not thrilled to be doing to drive me to find things to procrastinate on, like updating this!

I haven't really been mixing much lately compared to what I usually do, but I feel like it's been a lot for some reason. I think concert mixes always make me feel this way, though. It's not like there's much more to them than there is to mixing with a PV, but I always feel like I'm putting so much more work and thought into them than others--and they're always so much more exciting to me. Something about that live sound gets me pumped up and wanting to do more.

So maybe you're wondering (or not wondering) what concert mixing I'm talking about. I'm actually referring to a recent project I've taken on--a group by the ever-obvious name of Egao 9, which is dubbing with me Morning Musume's most recent concert, Nine Smile. I fell in love with the setlist the second it was released all those months ago, about died of happy when I got a hold of a fan recording of Tokyo Night back on December 6th, and had a nerdgasm the day the DVD was released. It's probably my favorite MM concert with the 9nin lineup to date, and I'm lucky enough that at least eight other people were willing to oblige me and dub this. I'm thrilled that I basically got to hand-pick my cast, and not only have they been prompt (early, even!) with handing in lines, but they've obviously all put their everything into what they've given me. What more could I ask for? :P

In the past few days, we finished up the first batch of songs from the concert, consisting of 321 BREAKIN' OUT and HOW DO YOU LIKE JAPAN ~Nihon wa Donna Kanji Dekka?~. I need to tl;dr about them, so let's get to it!

Takahashi Ai : Kappa [ xmikipinkux ]
Niigaki Risa : Ajisai [ homeschooledchick16 ]
Kamei Eri : Mandy [ tokidokihaato ]
Tanaka Reina : Palla [ nephiminechan ]
Michishige Sayumi : Buggy [ shockingbuggy ]
Kusumi Koharu : Aoi [ chocolateblakberri ]
Mitsui Aika : Giselle [ giselledesu ]
JunJun : Yume [ yumeangel29 ]
LinLin : Rae [ singingondemand ]



Okay, first of all, I asked everyone for tons of energy and they seriously delivered. I've seen a lot of 321 dubs, and concert dubs in general, fall flat on their face because of a lack of energy, but every last set of lines was full of it. Awesome.

Even though I ended up singing more harmonies than Takahashi is coded for, I was actually kinda thrilled to do it. Basically, I never know the harmonies to songs, so in instances like this when I do know them, I like to really go all out and have fun. I LOVE singing harmonies, you guys. I just never know them. D:

Stand-out performers in this song I think were Suiren (g'aww girl I'm so happy to have you as my Reina again. IT'S LIKE COMING HOME~ okay yeah idk it's almost 4 AM stfu) and... Idk who else! Everyone was pretty equal, which is so cool to have.

Downfalls are in the mixing. Some of my harmonies are loud, some are soft, which is something I probably would have fixed had it not been 8 AM and had I been less tl;dr that Suiren had gotten her lines in. :P Then some of the lines are a bit more staticy than I would like, from experimenting with what to do with a couple of bad mics in here. That's the thing that annoys me most, I think--probably should have run a De Esser over it a few more times for good measure, but alas. You live and learn.



I'm so in love with both songs, but I had to pick, I'm definitely more fond of this one. If 321 was awesome, this one might just actually be "epic"--and if you don't know, I have a hard time seriously bragging about any dubs I do, because I think it's unclassy, but... Yeah, this one might just be a first.

Okay, I think it goes without saying that Ajisai is my favorite Risa ever blah blah I won't boost her anymore. Just know that when I listened to her lines a cappella, I giggled SO HARD; not just because they were hilarious, but because I KNEW this was the perfect song for her and I was so excited to get this mixed.

I was talking to Mandy last night, and she said something to me about how it's all so weird how well the cast fits the roles, because those of us who are "reprising" roles in a way, whether it be from Junran or from the 2009 Hana Project concert, sort of just happened into them by chance. Somehow it just all ended up working--add on the 7th and 8th Gen roles and it makes me so geekily happy to see this cast now because it's just... no, it's not every dubber's dream cast, but it's my dream cast. It's a bit nostalgic, a bit new, and just oh-so-cool to hear all together.

Anyway, I could flail forever. I could also talk about the parts of this that I don't like (mixing, again! Who'dve guessed!), but why ruin the good mood this dub puts me in? I'll just leave it at that. ;]


Despite that Kimagure Princess is my dreaded Song from Hell, I can't say I'm not excited about it after this. And Nanchatte will be fun to revisit to see how different an experience it is to sing from seven months ago (yeah, I actually haven't been in a dub of that since Junran's. I know, way to limit myself, huh?)... I just hope we can keep up the good streak we've started out on. If so, I think this could be one really Epic (yes, I admit it!) concert dub. Awww yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment